Pest problems usually start with little ants making trails until they reach leftover food. This issue wouldn’t feel that big of a deal when the ants are not personally troubling you. Little do you know, cockroaches and rats are already infesting the office. If you do not want these pests munching on your electrical wirings or essential documents, you need to address them as soon as possible.
Types of Office Pests
Here are the common pests you’d encounter in an office setting:
- Cockroaches: As long as there is discarded food, expect cockroaches to be present. What makes them love offices more is the wide variety of “food” they can get. They love feeding off the glue, paste, and materials made from paper, such as letters, books, drapes, and wallpaper. You wouldn’t want them near you because they transport harmful microbes to humans. They also produce odorous secretions that can contaminate and alter food’s flavour and aggravate people’s allergies and asthma symptoms.
- Rodents: Rodents do not just damage your home; they are also scary when they reach your office space. Gnawing is their favourite activity, and they can do that to your electric wires or stored files, affecting the whole work system at your office. Moreover, once they find a new home, they multiply quickly. They’ll infest the entire place with their harmful urine, faeces, and dead skin flakes, causing food poisoning, asthma, and other illnesses.
- Bed Bugs: Bed bugs are not only found in beds. They can also appear in your office. Although they don’t pose a high risk to an office setting, they love feeding off people’s blood. They also quickly multiply, so the more you let them stay, the more of them will infest the office.
- Others: There are other types of pests your office building might encounter, such as fruit flies that love to feed off ripe fruits, fungus gnats that love to go around your office plants, or beetles and moths that randomly lay their eggs in food.
What You Can Do
As soon as you see any signs of infestation in your office, you need to deal with the problem right away.
1. Identify the problem areas
You won’t know where to eliminate pests if you don’t see where the pests are hiding. Keep an eye on these spaces. Cockroaches and rats love kitchens and trash bins because these provide their primary food source. They may even see the bathroom as a welcoming place because of the presence of water. You’ll address the situation better if you have an idea of what you’re dealing with, so conduct inspections until you find their hiding places.
2. Remove all the clutter
If you don’t want any rodents gnawing on items on your desk, don’t give them a reason to visit your workspace in the first place. Organize your files and clean them. Never leave food on your desk overnight.
In the pantry or break room, put all food in sealed containers or inside the refrigerator. Ask employees who eat on their desks to wrap their food properly when disposing of their waste. Inform all employees about the need to stay clean and organized all the time. Educate them about the pests and how they infest an office building.
A clean and clutter-free workspace will increase motivation and productivity for everyone at work.
3. Get local pest control
Never think of bringing your pesticides from home and spraying them in the office on your own. It is not a good idea because it can cause coughing, eye irritation, nausea, or asthma. It is best to still leave everything up to professional pest control, especially when dealing with extreme cases. They can help you locate the problem areas and use safe methods to control and eliminate the infestation.
Pests are added problems in the workplace, and no one wants to deal with them while also having many tasks to finish for work. Taking action about this problem and seeking professional pest control assistance can help you get rid of unwanted pests and protect your office for the months to come.
If you need pest control services in Birmingham, you can call us at Willis Pest Control. We have fully qualified technicians you can hire at any time for any type of pest infesting your commercial space. Dial 0121 588 5258 or 07305 518033 to schedule an appointment.